I have been thinking about getting Invisalign and came across this article that had all these negative feedback. However, after digging deeper, I think it may have been to promote another similar treatment. How much truth is there to these statements?
- Seniors shouldn’t get Invisalign
- Traditional braces take a similar amount of time
- Braces are more effective
- I can get them cheaper online, without a dentist
- I can’t eat the foods I love
- I’ll be prone to cavities
Any insight you can give to either support or deny these claims would be helpful. Thanks!
-Paulette in Kansas
Well, this is an interesting inquiry. Invisalign has one of the highest rated patient approval ratings in dentistry. It is known to straighten teeth in about half as much time as traditional orthodontics. Also, they are much more comfortable and from a conversational distance, no one will know you are wearing them. So, it’s not surprising that there are some misleading claims out there trying to discourage patients from choosing Invisalign, in order to try a different product.
Here is the breakdown for each claim.
- Age – The Invisalign treatment was created for adults and then the company eventually came out with a teen version. There is no age limit to Invisalign. Older adults will have similar results as others, when used correctly and under the supervision of a dentist.
- Timeframe – Invisalign invisible braces generally straighten teeth in about half as much time as traditional braces. However, this involves strict patient participation. So, if a patient doesn’t wear them as instructed, that would slow down the treatment time. The clear aligners are created using sophisticated, computer-generated technology which calculates the gradual repositioning of your teeth. Every two weeks a new set of trays is used.
- Results – Traditional braces may still be the best for severe crowding or misalignment. However, if your dentist confirms that you are indeed an Invisalign candidate, you should expect successful results.
- Online – Orthodontics is a specialty area within dentistry. It takes a high level of skill and you cannot order traditional braces online. The same holds true for Invisalign. This treatment plan requires supervision while using it. A dentist will need to perform an examination to make sure you’re a candidate. Also, they will determine if you have any urgent needs prior to starting Invisalign. You may save a bunch of money when ordering a knock-off version online. However, you will be taking a risk with your results and may end up causing more damage in the long run. It is not recommended to order Invisalign or a similar product online without a dentist’s supervision.
- Foods – There is no need for concern over missing the foods you enjoy. Simply pop out the clear aligners whenever you are ready to eat. However, with braces, you need to avoid hard, chewy and sticky foods.
- Cavities – This may be a concern with Invisalign if you drink sugary beverages. The sugar may become lodged between your teeth and the aligners. This type of scenario lends itself to decay. However, you shouldn’t be drinking anything but water with the aligners in place. So it shouldn’t be a problem. Also, once your teeth are straight, flossing and regular oral hygiene will likely improve.
The best thing to do if you are serious about Invisalign is to schedule a consultation with your dentist. Then, you’ll be able to find out if you’re a candidate and learn more about your specific treatment plan.
Thank you for your questions.
This post is sponsored by York PA dentist Donald H. Currie, DMD